Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Short History of Time Passed


Alright, everyone will have to bear with me on this one. There are a lot of days to cover and I will most likely forget a lot of it. It's been a while since we've had internet and I have been able to sit down and actually write something. I will try and put something down...

August 30th, 2007
This day could best be described as 'cleaning day'. The house it seemed had not been lived in for a while and there was dust and dirt everywhere. Chelsea's parents picked up some cleaning supplies and we were able to start the cleaning process. But before any of that could take place, on Chelsea and I's part, we had to go downtown to get our water turned on. The water department was on Broughton, a street that I would called the most modern on the downtown area. This is the place that the department stores of an earlier time would be. Now it is chic clothing shops, the SCAD theater, and the SCAD library. The water building seemed to be a recycled building also. It must have been a savings and loan at one time or something. There was this huge vault with holes above it that looked like they housed a sign of some sort. Anyways, after the water department, we thought we would head down and say hello to Ginger. We had not seen her or Blaine so a nice hello would have been nice. After a not so brief but not so long walk, we reached Poetter Hall, a SCAD building that houses admissions and also the graphic design department. It used to be an old armory building and then later SCAD's first main campus, and now it was what was mentioned. Well this is where Ginger works. After her assistant tracked her down, we got to say our hellos and she directed to Blaine's building to say hello to him. So we trekked on to Blaine's building, which was on our way back to the car. We said hello to him and then headed back to the car. But not before a stop at Parker's a gas station and little market downtown for drinks and supplies for the crew back home (Chelsea's parents). We returned home for cleaning duty...
At night we met up with Jim and Nicky for a nice dinner on River Street at a place called Tubby's. I would best describe it as a seafood bar and grill. They were still able to get me a hamburger which was actually quite good. Damn I love hamburgers. Tubby's is located on River street and is basically the tourist area of town. It parallels the river and is filled with shops and knick knacks for anyone and everyone. It is also a great place to find street performers and artists. We weren't living in the house yet due to the fact that our stuff was to be delivered tomorrow. Instead, we have a clean and empty new house. On a side note I have to say how enthralled I am with the downtown area. It has to be the perfect mix of old buildings and even older oak trees. As you drive through the city the roads are covered by the branches of these gigantic monsters of nature.
It is almost as if someone carved a hole through a forest just so you could drive through. It is a very vast contrast from the flat lands of Tucson. So green and immersed in everyday life, the trees and plant life almost seem like buildings themselves. Sky scrappers reaching up and blocking out the sun. The next day would be move in day and were we ever excited to get our stuff and stop staying in hotels.

August 31st, 2007
The clouds hung over our house waiting to bring an onslaught of rain down upon us. And yet for the time it took us to unload everything, the rain ceased. It was quite amazing actually. We were able to get everything in and out of the front yard before it became soaked. My parents were to arrive this night and we were already getting everything together and making our house a home. Busy bees creating our furniture and putting things away, although I think there is a couple boxes around still to this day. It was definitely a work day. There is nothing more to describe this day. Moving in was the main concern and putting everything in its place. My parents arrived and we ordered pizza from down the street. It was a place Chelsea had found on her way to get supplies and whatnots (official term for anythings and everythings). It was tasty pizza and was labeled New Jersey style - whatever that means. The guy didn't sound like he was from New Jersey but I suppose I won't hold that against him. I ate it with pleasure anyways. Oh by the way, this day marked the first time we were able to actually sleep in our new house. Yay, for my own bed! I think Lola was relieved to have our big bed also. She has been a little nervious coming into a new home. We have had to leave her a couple times and she actually scratched up the door. My parents were able to fix it and has since been pretty good about being home alone.

September 1st, 2007
Since it was my birthday, the plan was to hit up the beach...that is until a hurricane of a storm hit Savannah and canceled our fun. We then changed our plans to walking around downtown. We started at the Information center and then walked around. It was neat to see all the different buildings; very different from the suburbs back home. We ate at B&D Burgers (downtown location this time) for lunch and I had a burger known as the 'City Market'. I have become a big fan of this place since they make a tasty burger and have curly fries. This burger had five different cheeses on it: cheddar, american, swiss, provolone, and mozzarella. This is definitely my kind of place. Deedee you need to try this place, oh and Dan too. After lunch Chelsea's mom stopped over at Leopold's Ice Cream for a cone. The rest of us were all still pretty full and passed. After lunch we headed back to the car and then home for some more unpacking. The desks, entertainment center, and kitchen table were all pretty much in place by this time and the little stuff was making its way out of boxes. For my birthday, Chelsea's dad picked me up an electric drill and I used that thing for quite a bit of assembly. That is definitly a useful tool (and makes you feel really manly too). I think around this point we realized we needed more Dezinno photography pictures hanging up and I called the boss to see if I could get a hook up. I am hoping I still can. I have to say we are big fans of his work. His 'Tucson Inn' picture is the first thing we see next to our front door when we enter or leave. It is a constant reminder of our homes. As well as the beautiful coasters that Deedee designed. It is great to have wonderful friends that design and make such wonderful pieces of art. I have to say how crazy the condensation on cups is here. At one point I watched Chelsea's cup start wiggling around because it was floating on the condensation. It was actually quite funny. well more updates later...till then

No comments: