Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Short Journey to Savannah - Day Three

After loading all our stuff back in the truck, we left Shrieveport and were off to different lands. The dialect had definitely changed around here. As DeeDee might say its a little bit like hillbilly. I knew we were in the right direction. The Ice Tea had changed also. Fearful of this new drink I have stayed far away from it. The liquid sugar concoction they try to pass off as ice tea is a ploy of some sort...I'm sure of it. We were to drive until the people of the land spoke something different. This drive was alot better then the drab and boring Texas. We would refer to the rest of the trip as, 'at least we aren't in Texas' part. No offense to those Texans out there, I'm just saying. We were trying to make it to Columbus, GA. The drive had different ideas.

We stopped just over the Mississippi for a rest and I got to see the grand river first hand. I think I have seen it before, but I can't remember. The welcome center was by far the best one I've ever seen and even offered us free soda. I passed on the offer but it was still cool. Around this point my truck decided it was beginning to have enough of this trip. I would consider its demeanor as a low rumble and uncomfortable shake, unnatural for any american made automobile - or any car for that matter. It was not wanting anymore of this long drive and I wanted it to cross three more states. This rumble however was only to be had at low speeds and on the highway it performed like a throughbred, that is if it were a horse. It would be a concern for the rest of the trip if we possibly would not make it. Our only choice would be to press on and just hope. Mississippi also greeted us with a strong rainstorm that slowed us down a bit. It was a little frightening for moments when visibility became zero on the highway. After our little set back we ended our day in Montgomery, AL. We were about an hour off our mark but we were tired and I was worried. Chelsea and I were able to pick up some Carraba's for dinner which was very tasty and calmed my nerves a bit. This is probably the night I was unnerved the most and I didn't get much sleep. Until the next day, good night.

No comments: