Sunday, April 19, 2009

what would you say?

rylan and i went to charleston yesterday and on the way home, throughout many topics of conversation, we talked about something that i cannot stop thinking about. 

i had a friend from college who told me a very interesting story. his mom was in line at the grocery store behind paul mccartney, or sir paul, if you please. my first and only question was "what did she say to him?" his response was "nothing. what do you say to a beatle?" well, what indeed?! of course this got me thinking, what would i say if i ever had the fortune to meet him?

a little back story for you: in my opinion, my dad is the greatest man on this planet. he's just a stand up kind of guy, and the older i get the more i appreciate him and grow more and more grateful for having him as my dad. i did not however start getting along with him until i was a freshman in college. he would drive down every thursday afternoon of my freshman year and pick me up and bring me home. then on monday mornings he would drive me back to tucson and drop me off. and we repeated this routine for an entire year. on the 2 hour drive (yes, for normal people it only takes an hour and a half to get from tucson to phx, but my dad drives like a sissy) my dad would pick random cd's out of his collection and put them in the 6 cd changer. i never got to pick, which i didn't mind, cause my dad's got pretty rad taste in music. we always always always listened to the beatles. and he would tell me stories about when he was in high school or boot camp or Vietnam. the only thing in my whole life that we have constantly agreed on is the awesomeness that is the Beatles. the first time i ever saw my dad cry was when i gave him the Anthology for christmas one year. 

so really, how could you say in a simple, coherent sentence, how music sir paul's music has influenced my life? i guess you could just say "thank you" but in my opinion thats too understated, and you are talking to a living legend. i thought about "my dad and i really like your music" but that sounds lame too. there's not a right or wrong answer here, it's just interesting to think about. i of course should never be allowed to meet him because besides peeing on myself, i wouldn't make any sense. words would come pouring out of my mouth in nonsense and it would be better if i could just be speechless, but i can't.

p.s. it's also the only music rylan and i can agree on. i know he knew who they were, but i'm going to take full credit for his love of the beatles. he's going to disagree with me on that one.

No comments: