Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A week of everything

So its about 11:30, and after a couple hours of Olympic watching, I have retreated to my computer to pen this new entry. The last couple weeks have been quite busy on the design front. Logging forty hours last week and expected to log another forty this week, I have been programming my heart out while Chelsea is working at Paula's shop. I will drop her off in the morning then come home and work till I am pulling my hair out in frustration. Sometimes flash can be a fidgety program, and well just doesn't work the way you want. The last I penned was that I was working on the menu book for Indulge, but since then I have had to put that on hold to work on there website. While both are scheduled to be completed at the same time, Becca wanted to get the website done first. So I was off, and I have to admit I am quite sick of this design. Each piece that I create must stay within the same vein of style as the last but hopefully be a little fresh and different. It is a little taxing to say the least, especially after working on the same design for the past year really (maybe not that long).
It becomes even more frustrating for me myself, when you try to get acknowledgment of a job well done, and well most of the hardest stuff that was completed is unseen in a website - it is code, hidden behind the pictures, making them do what they do. Its sort of hard to explain that even though you see one picture, there are so many other things going on in the background. Its already calling up your next move, before you make it. Its actually quite amazing. I am also glad that I never became a programmer. Not only do I not like the 3am/late-night work sessions that I used to pull, I don't see the satisfaction. I love when someone else thinks my work is good. Well I'll settle for an ok(well maybe not, it better be the best - damnit, I didn't get a proper ed-ja-ma-cation for nothing. - Woot! "In the Heights") But really the only way I can tell if I'm any good at this thing they call design, is if someone else tells me. Because personally, like the cliche artist, I am my worst critic. Looking at earlier work, I will start analyzing, then comes criticizing, which leads to hating it. Hell, I think I already hate this post (stupid post). I have run off on a tangent that I have no idea where it leads, nor where it ends. What am I doing? Where is this going?


So in other news, this week has been quite exciting for us. Its a week packed full of events. Monday: (I totally made a boom sound effect when I typed the colon, just for the record. So you should read it as such.) Becca brought her dog Greer over to meet Lola. Now we have stated before that Lola, not very fond of dogs. But she did awesome. They played around, and even though she drooled like crazy, she didn't attack anything. Greer is just mellow and I don't even think knew Lola was there. I believe Monday night we got together with Andrea and Dave and video chatted online for a bit. It was hilarious and after some technical difficulties we got it working and was actually quite fun. Tuesday: Paige came to Savannah! So after her internship in New York, Paige and her boyfriend Blake came to Savannah. The Indulge crew got together at Carlitos for a fiesta. At which time I found out they had $1 taco Tuesday (you heard me right friends, 1 taco = 1 dollar, amazing.) But wait there's more! You can get a Margarita for $2! I order three tacos, Chelsea got her usual bean burrito, Blake threw down 6 tacos. Damn they were good. I could probably live off of tacos and bacon cheeseburgers. It wouldn't be a long life mind you - considering the health factors involved, but it would be great. From the taco shop, Chelsea and I walked down Broughton to Leopold's and got ourselves some ice cream. It was just amazing outside. But as we were walking the rain ceased for the night and we just enjoyed a cool stroll downtown. When it rains around here, the temperature literally drops 20 degrees. You are left with light jacket weather and windows rolled down, listening to tunes. On our way home we saw Sam from The Format chilling outside Marshall House smoking a cigarette. How cool is that!? If you don't know of The Format, go check them out! They are from Arizona. Wednesday: We just chilled around the house and watched Season 2, Episodes 1 and 2 of Rome. Damn I can't believe they killed Caesar! I mean I know it was going to happen, but still, I thought he was awesome. And for whats to come and we are excited for: Thursday: We are going to dinner at Blaine and Ginger's house. They just got their house repainted a deep blue and it looks really cool. Hopefully, the trim will be complete now and we will be able to see the finished house. Not to mention, catch up with Patches and Vincent (the coolest cat around, that gives headbutts). Saturday: I believe we are going on a double-date with Martha and Andrew to go see Batman! Which for all accounts should be grand as well. Martha and Andrew are very nice and cool, plus it's Batman! You can never go wrong with Batman! POW! Sunday: Nancy, from Chelsea's work has invited us to go on her boat, so I believe we are going to take her up on the offer. I will probably need a life-vest for this one. Anything happens, I'm a goner people. Not sure if I can doggie-paddle my way back to shore. Michael Phelps I am not.

No comments: