Sunday, July 6, 2008

An ad filled with Frustration


So two weeks ago I started my Creative Copywriting class. And after a bit of success on my first ad, We are on our second assignment. The class is all about the actual writing rather then the creation of the ad. So for the first assignment we didn't take it to completion. However this assignment he asked us to go a bit further and finish the ad. He gave us the product, the Spalding Hi-Bounce Ball. After a bit of research, we found it that its this famous ball that was discontinued in 1979 (that popular huh?) and has just recently been reintroduced. The main game this ball is used in is stick ball. I personally decided to center my ad around this sport and also the nostalgia of the ball. I started off coming off with headlines and was all over the place. The first one I really came up with was "The Original Urban Playground." - based off stick ball being played in big cities like New York. Then I started thinking about how this ball was popular in the 50s and 60s and moved to the popular cars of that day. I looked at old car ads and basically absorbed everything they had. I came across one ad that had the headline, "Straight out of Tomorrow." Which I thought was a great headline, so I took it and applied it to the ball which resulted in "Straight out of yesterday." I feel it worked. And compared to some of my other ideas felt well, right. I sort of had this vision for the ad as a picture of the downtown streets of a city. I really like the visual of stick ball in the city. I ran with that idea and a bit of copy about the history and came up with the comp of the ad.
As far as the frustration goes, it was all in the printing of the ad. For some reason, my printer decided to go crazy and actually rip my prints up. Then as I was trying to fix it, it ran out of ink. One printer down I moved on to Chelsea's printer, which in turn was also out of ink. So I was off to Walgreen's for a refill, and 45 minutes later I am told that the color cartridge cannot be refilled. So finally I am off to Wal-mart to buy a new color cartridge and to my luck, they only have the two cartridge package in stock, meaning I have to buy a black cartridge also. But it is printed out, on the semi-gloss side of my photo paper because it wasn't taking the black on the gloss side. But nonetheless, its done and not too shabby. Its bed time for me, so aidos and peace out.

BTW, this entry was written totally on the fly here so mistakes, grammar, and boring parts are left well enough alone.

No comments: