Friday, May 30, 2008

Design Solution: A Beginning of Something

I have long been expressing interest in the idea of my own t-shirt design company. Now the following has nothing really to do with anything about realizing that dream. This is more about making something else entirely. I have had this idea for a website, in which I will probably not get into the entire details of the idea as I don't want to give it away and hell you never know, I might actually make it someday. But let's just say the idea centered around that of chick flicks. It is kind of an interesting place for me, as a guy, to find myself thinking about. But alas, I have, thus a couple things have resulted from it. I had this idea of T-shirts that comprised basically of simple images and quotes from movies. Every good movie has the perfect quote that gets repeated around water holes across the globe - "You breed raptors here?" - "This is Sparta!" - "Let's Call it Steve!" - "I gave him a break." - "Here we are, Sunset and Camden!" - "Goonies never say die." - "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - etc. Some people may not know what all of those are from, but you get the picture. My idea is not exactly unique as their are tons of shirts out there like this, I am but one of many. Since they are kind of spare time kind of things, I am using Cafepress as the people to print them. It makes them a little more expensive, but I don't have to worry about inventory or anything like that. These are kind of extra things for fun, and you'll probably see a few more on here. This one is from the Notebook, and a great line from the movie, "If you're a bird, I'm a bird." It is a line that Chelsea absolutely loves and well goes with the whole chick flick thing mentioned above. As for creation of the piece...the birds were hand drawn using pencil, just a quick sketch. Then they were inked and scanned in. I fixed up the lines just a bit, moved some stuff around to make them work together. I only drew one bird and dup'd it for the other. The color was added in photoshop - sort of going for a watercolor look. the overall feel was to be quaint and simple. So the birds are sort of sketchy and the type was to be a bit elegant - definitely a serif font. I messed with all the font fixings to make it flow together until I got a bit of something I liked (that sentence was awesome). Well go check it out over at Cafepress! If you love it and just have to have it, you can buy it too (hawking my designs for a couple extra bucks, lol)! Really though its just something to do for Chelsea and for fun. Thanks

No comments: