Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter Sunday

Our plans for Easter Sunday were set in advance and included us to arrive at the Hansen's house for brunch in the morning. The Hansen's are a wonderful family that have included us as their own kids, to which I could never thank them enough. They were our adopted family on Christmas when our own families were a thousand miles away. They are the nicest people and a sort of comfort blanket to us when we feel like we are alone in this Southern town. And as I am not really one for the whole thank you card idea - I tried to think of someway to just say thanks for everything they have done for us. So the night before I did what any artist would do, I drew them a picture. The Hansen's are avid Disney fans (more so then Chelsea and I, by far) and actually have a Mickey room which houses their collection of Disney art. I decided to take a crack at drawing that old mouse. It is to note that this is the second time I have attempted to recreate the wonderful international icon - the first being as a small drawing for Chelsea, back when we first met. That piece however was a lot easier for me as it was built entirely on the computer. This drawing, was to be done by hand. So with my brown charcoal (thanks Taylor for the wonderful Christmas present) I went about the task of drawing my interpretation of the Disney legend. It actually didn't turn out half bad - As in at least it could be recognized as the character. It was definitely a quick sketch and only about an hour from start to completion (with mounting). I would say my skill for the physical mediums has seemed to jump a bit toward the better (yay, money isn't being wasted on my education). For what seemed like the first time, I seemed to have control over the medium instead of daunted by it. Even when creating the drawing for my art classes, I always felt that there was something missing, something just beyond the drawing that I had yet to capture. Perhaps, it was the simplicity of the mouse, but the lines just seemed to appear as I tried to draw. Now, I am not saying I successfully replicated an exact reproduction of said mouse, but I feel like I did a pretty good job. It sort of takes me back to another sketch I did for Chelsea back when we first starting dating. It was a small pen sketch of a bear. Now this little drawing was nothing more than an inch tall and yet still, was my favorite drawing I have ever done. When I gave it to her, it was pouring that day - so much so that the streets near her dorm were flooded. While trying to rush from my car, I dropped the small picture into the flooded streets. Frantic, I quickly snatched it from the water, soaked with rain. Yet still the picture survived and dried to almost original quality. Perhaps it is the idea behind the picture rather then the art itself that is held dear - but it is funny how such small works have such fondness. I digress, he small token of my appreciation had been completed and was ready to be presented to our 'Georgia family'.
We arrived at the Hansen's and let me tell you that Nicki knows how to throw an event. While there was only eight people there, they made enough food for an army. The gift was well accepted and placed within their Mickey shrine room. Felt kind of good to be among past and present master of Disney art. And then we feasted. I am almost embarrassed to say that I probably had four helpings of the delicious food that was on display (why do I always seem to gain about fifteen pounds when the parents come to visit?). But man was it good - they must have thought me a poor starving college kid, my diet consisting of ramen and rice (that is until one sees my gut and says, nope that boy hasn't missed a meal in quite some time). It was a great time eating and just hanging out. My kind of day.
Easter also happened to be Ginger's birthday (Nicki and Jim's daughter-in-law, for those trying to keep track and also good friends). Ginger was the person who convinced me to come to SCAD and finish my degree (with help from Chelsea of course). Her and Blaine were to be flying back on Easter from Germany where they were on business for SCAD. So to celebrate her birthday it was planned that we would all have dinner at a restaurant called 'Cha Bella.' Before they arrived we drove over to their house and decorated the front door with a banner to say Happy Birthday (little welcome home present).
The restaurant was an interesting place. The decorations were sort of this hip look and we were informed that everything was organic (flashbacks of Casbah in Tucson - but those thoughts were quickly forgotten). This place was a high-end italian (i guess?) restaurant. I ended up ordering some pasta that had portobello mushrooms, fontina cheese sauce, and black truffles. I have to say it was pretty damn good. The night was spent chatting, hearing of Germany, opening presents, drinking wine, eating, and just having a lovely time. The next day would be my first day of school and this night seemed to cap off a wonderful Spring Break. It was great to be around family and friends (two things we never get to see enough of). Spring Break was now over. Yet almost seems weird to have such a night. We were adults - no longer the same people we were a few years prior. No longer at some Denny's at two in the morning ordering a bacon cheeseburger and seasoned fries. I just ordered something with black truffles on it! Seriously what is that? While some of our friends are back in Tucson, know in our hearts we wish you were here (so get your asses here already - did i mention the beach?). We had traveled to two new cities and had already made promises to visit them again. we had ate, laughed, and ate some more - it was time to get back, get back to the everyday, back to school. It was a short week that seemed to pass by in a second. But as a memory, it will last forever.

No comments: