Monday, March 31, 2008

Movie Review: I am Legend

Alright so I know Chelsea threw down with her own take on this movie (awesome) but I figured it was only right to hear my side of the story. Now there are some things I would say I agree with her on and some things I might talk a little more about.
First off, I would say that I rather enjoyed this movie. I have never read the book (although after a bit of post-viewing research, sounds pretty cool) and thought the movie was pretty well constructed. To summarize, a deadly virus has killed 90% of the human population, 1% are immune to it, and the other 9% are turned into what are known as dark seekers (vampires essentially) that feast on the immune people. It has been three years since the virus spread and Will Smith's character is the last human on earth. I felt the whole notion of the modern vampire was well conceived and actually very real. The idea that we ourselves mutated due to a virus was quite interesting. It brings what is normally 'legend' or 'fable' to a level of the very real life. The movie gives a horrifying realistic sense that this could possibly happen and for that you are overwhelmed with depression (as Chelsea pointed out) as to what has become of the human race. Most scenes build up a slowly burning tension that tightens your nerves and makes you lean toward the edge of your seat. It's very thought out story and carefully planned shots make the movie a wonderful thriller for 2007.
As far as the monsters go, I felt they were rather lacking. I don't know what it is but a reliance on CG effects has seemed to hinder this movie. I am all for digital effects but seriously make them look realistic. Each time they appeared on screen I felt like I was instantly transported to 1990s and the release of the Mummy (Again I know Chelsea mentioned this - but I feel its worth noting as we both said it during the movie). SPOILER DEAD AHEAD (Argh!):
Also the arrival of Anna (I think thats her name) seemed a little rushed and unnecessary. She just seemed like a pointless character and only around to continue the story. The ending seemed a little cheesey and a little too mainstream. From what I read about the book's ending, that was a far better tale. The whole idea of being a legend is sort of warped into a whole new meaning that the movie never really hits on. Of course I am probably only commenting on this because I read about the book's ending and such. It is a good thriller movie, though depressing.

No comments: