Saturday, March 29, 2008

More to do about the Atlanta thing

A little more about Atlanta...
So after Coke World, we rushed ourselves over to the Aquarium to swim with the fishes. I have to say it was a pretty neat place. They have multiple areas of interest that is filled with various types of sea creatures. The decoration around the tanks makes you feel like you are undersea along with them as sea-life swims over your head. Chelsea would have to say the Sea Otters were her favorite, as they always are. I would have to say I lean toward the jellyfish - there is something about the way they peacefully float in a sea of blue. It was definitely a fun place.
For dinner that night we drove down to the local Chipotle. Now this is a big deal as we haven't had Chipotle since our leaving of the AZ. It was a main staple of our college diets and it was good to have it once more. It was delicious. Chelsea's uncle didn't seem to happy about the place as he couldn't understand why we had to drive through the city to find a fast food restaurant - when a Mexican restaurant was just down the street. I think it was more about the idea of Chipotle then the actual food. It is food and a place that we have good memories associated with. Memories of Arizona and of friends. And they do make a mighty fine burrito.
The next day we were set to head back to Savannah. It was a short time in Atlanta but probably won't be the last. It was very nice meeting her aunt and uncle and it was time to say good bye. We left their house and before leaving town stopped at Ikea (another piece of home for the home) to pick up some supplies. Our plan was to order a couch, in which we are in desperate need. Unfortunately upon arriving we found delivery to be over six hundred dollars (almost double the price of the couch). So we skipped that idea and would later order one online (still waiting on it). We did pick up some other things while we were there however.
After Ikea we planned to check out the Atlanta Art Museum as we weren't due back into Savannah until late in the evening. And after getting a little lost and then finding our way again we made it to the white building that is the High Museum. The exterior reminded me somewhat of the Getty Museum. Inside, we went straight to a Louvre traveling exhibition that I was keen on checking out. For some reason I have this obsession with Paris. I have never been, but have always wanted to travel there. That is probably why I chose to take French in high school, while Spanish would have probably been the better choice. There is just something about it - I just like the idea of Paris I suppose. And in Atlanta, I was able to see some stuff that normally would have resided in Paris. It was like I was actually there (except not really). But how the hell am I supposed to know, I let my mind pretend for a few hours. It would have helped my illusion if the museum people all spoke French, instead they stuck to English (probably ate Freedom Fries also). It was a great way to end our traveling while on Spring Break. I put my Art History classes to work and was able to see some of the art we actually studied. It was quite funny to happen upon a piece in the Museum that was actually quite smaller then I originally thought. In the art book it was just represented through a picture and therefore I guessed the size around a foot tall (next time I need to pay attention to the bi-line for the work in which it indicates the size.) Apparently, the actual piece was an inch tall to my surprise. And I have to say studying art in a book can't even compare to seeing it in person. While looking at the real thing you almost get a sense of its history by the very presence of the object. You realize that this piece has survived thousands of years and will outlast me or you. You see the fine details and how the artist was able to construct the work. You see every inch of it, an idea that no book could ever be able to grasp. I hope to return to the High Museum when they change their Louvre exhibit so I might visit my faux Paris once again. Until then Atlanta, until then.

No comments: