Saturday, March 29, 2008

Back in the ATL

Ok so I am trying to wrap up our Spring break adventures and time keeps on passing into nothingness and I can't see to write fast enough. This adventure will someday end in a passage about Easter and the last day of Spring Break. But for now I am on our trip to Atlanta or as I've heard it been called, the ATL.
The day was March 19th when we packed our bags yet again and begun our journey to a new and unfamiliar place. Paige from my work had agreed to watch the dog for us - so we wouldn't have to worry about her for the trip. The drive would be around 5 hours as we trekked West into the country. I decided to pass the time reading My Boring Ass Life. This may have been a bad idea as the road was bumpy and the words were jumpy and i suffered a headache. But really, I had nothing else to do. The scenery upon this trip is pretty much like everything around here, a dense forest as far as any eye could see. Sometimes it would break for fields, but those weren't much to look at either. I do remember though at one point I fell asleep and when I awoke, Atlanta had arrived.
We made our way through the city and to Chelsea's aunt's house. This is where Chelsea and I would be staying for the duration of this trip. Her parents decided to crash at a hotel - lucky... It was gracious for her aunt to offer their home to us however. I had never met her before and it was nice for them to agree to take us in. As we arrived she had made ribs for us and we chowed down. The next morning was scheduled for us to check out Coca-Cola World - a place my dad has only heard of in legends (He is a big collector of Coke material and merchandise). Before the night ended and after Chelsea's parents had left I was quickly sat down and questioned on my intentions with their niece. Including me avoiding the question of marriage from yet another source - awkward...
We arrived downtown in Atlanta and I felt it should have been bigger. I don't know what I was expecting but perhaps taller buildings downtown - or more of them. I guess I was looking for a New York or Los Angeles, but like Phoenix, Atlanta just spreads out rather then grows tall. Coke World was pretty much straight in the downtown area and actually right next to the Atlanta Aquarium (we had tickets for it at the conclusion of our Coca-Cola adventures). All I would have to say is my dad would love this place. It has an unbelievable collection of stuff that can't really be described. My favorite part was probably the intro movie which was a mockumentry and continues the story of what happens when you put a quarter into a coke machine (you may have seen these commercials). This intro movie lifts up and enters you into a world of Coca-cola goodness. You get to see how a Coke is made, take pictures with the lovable polar bear (did you know polar bears are the most dangerous mammals in the animal kingdom -kevin smith per Batman producer), check out some Andy Warhol sketches, and drink as much coke and coke products as your heart desires. The last piece of the tour is the tasting room. Here you can taste various products that coke makes from around the world. They have everything imaginable and things you can't even believe is a drink. Upon leaving this area I felt sick from the sugar and of course in a Disney-esque style, The tour ends with them dropping you off in a gift shop. They had some really neat stuff here and I was able to pick up some stuff for my dad which I think he will like. Another cool thing was they were playing the Format - kinda strange on this side of the states! Almost felt like the AZ again.

No comments: