Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Design Solution: SCAD Fashion Show Food Cone

At Indulge, we have the opportunity to cater the big fashion show this year at SCAD. This is a big event for around three hundred people and we want to stand out in everything we do. One of the plans is to serve one of the offered foods in a cone, so people can carry it around easily. We have done this before for other events, and while the cone seems strange at first, it works pretty well. For the Fashion show, I was put in charge of designing a unique cone that complemented the show.
Immediately I was brought back to my design-one class over at Pima and a project we had to do in which we found real objects and then cut them out to create a color wheel. I just happened to do my project using only fashion objects. The original project turned out quite well and I think is actually Chelsea's favorite piece that I have done (she has the original). The cone having a round shape would be a perfect application to implement this previous project. And therefore I began converting my previous design into a new design. A few changes happened while designing the cone. Being a smaller space I had to cramp the colors together more and I decided to make the girl more pronounced (actually the girl was not part of the original project due to assignment constraints, but I always had her in the photoshop file). I added a gray border on the top and bottom to balance the piece. Before, I felt the color circles were just floating off the page. These borders anchor them in their own confined space. It also allowed me to put SCAD and a beautiful quote from Mark Twain on there. Its great being able to ride the coat-tails of genius. Overall, I think the finished product is a pretty attractive cone. While it is probably the smallest part of the event, I suppose if one person takes notice, I've done my job.

No comments: